Sunday, January 25, 2015

Winnie, Yoda, and Tribes

I will honor Day 7 by actually replying to the thought-starter question.

Day 7: What are you taking with you from this Challenge?

Honestly, I don’t know.

The challenge came at a good time, just after I had dusted off my blog and made a (sort of) self-commitment to post on a regular basis.  Will I post every day, like this week?  Nope. My plan is to post once or twice a week as I tackle 2015, and start thinking about my landmark birthday next year.

The message I will take with me, the message that Seth has pounded like a drumbeat the last few years is to ship. Shipping is scary; shipping is hard; but if you don’t ship things won’t happen.  I want/need things to happen.

On Day 1 of the challenge, I nearly didn’t ship. I tweeted my hesitation, wondering what would happen. As I recapped on my 1st post of the challenge, others piped in from the ether of the internet encouraging me and cheering me on to ship. I did, and I felt better.

After I realized there was an avalanche of participants, I wondered aloud (via Twitter) how Winnie was handling everything.  Not long after, I was deputized by Winnie (along with a small group of others) to approve posts. That was pretty cool.  It turned out that some of those that had encouraged me on Day 1 to post, were now also fellow “post approvers.” Interesting.

A day or two later – not sure when, the week was a blur – Andy created a Facebook group, which led to a way for the small tribe of Tumblr Approval Admins to communicate.  OMG – what a group of incredible people. The time and dedication they showed to the project simply blew me away.

Another, overarching thing I will take from the Your Turn Challenge project was that there are like-minded people out there, you just have to find them. Thanks to the internet, they are easier to find than ever.  In the past Seth has encouraged meet-ups for certain things, and I could never find anyone in my area.  As much as I would love to connect with like-minded people in person, I may have to adopt my new mini-tribe as a support group.


To circle back to the beginning, maybe I do know what I’m taking from the challenge. I just need to keep reminding myself.


So, in summary, remember what Yoda said “Do or do not do, there is no try.”  In other words, ship.


No comments:

Post a Comment