Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Get in the Game

One of my favorite TV shows was Sports Night. It was a “kind-of” comedy that was on ABC in the late nineties. For many people it was their introduction to Aaron Sorkin and his style of show – “walking scenes,” rapid fire dialogue, and usually a multi-layered message, that would become famous on his next show “West Wing.”

It was the first series I ever purchased on DVD, although I don’t pull them out to watch very often.  Recently it has been airing on the FXX network in the mornings, and I once again find myself drawn to watch while eating breakfast and getting ready for work.

Yesterday morning the episode “The Quality of Mercy at 29k” was on. The dual story lines are about an expedition to ascent Mt. Everest, and Dan Rydell’s struggle to decide on charitable contributions.  This is my favorite exchange in the entire series:

Natalie Hurley: Two guys have ascended five miles into the sky. They walked up a wall of ice, and are preparing to knock on the door of Heaven itself. There's really no end to what we can do. You know what the trick is?
Dan Rydell: What?
Natalie Hurley: Get in the game.

I had that exchange posted on my office wall for a long time, and it still hits me “right there.” We all have to be reminded from time to time to “get in the game”  If you are in sales, it’s time to make more calls; as a volunteer, to engage deeper; as an athlete or artist, fully commit to our craft; or as a parent, parent the best we can.

That’s what the Your Turn Challenge is, a chance to get in the game. I doubt most of the participants will keep blogging on a daily basis like Seth does; but I bet that most of the people involved will go on to tackle that project or prospect that has been sitting on the back burner.

What are you going to do to “get in the game”?



This post is part of the Winnie Kao / Seth Godin “Your Turn Challenge” to blog seven days in a row.


No comments:

Post a Comment